After the tragedy in Nice, France yesterday, I started looking through my photo albums from the times I was there in high school (THANKS MOM & DAD!) I remembered all the beauty, the love, the flowers, the cobblestone streets, the art, the Champs Elysees, and oh my god the FOOD!
Every meal was an event and while each meal wasn’t huge, they were always filling, I never felt
full, and I lost like 15lbs from just walking and eating properly. But it never felt like I was eating “healthy” just eating GOOD! So, I saw this photo of the Croque Monsieur I had while I was there and tried to find stuff to make it.
Originally, it is like a grilled cheese with ham on the inside and more cheese melted on top with a nice bed of greens on the side. But I didn’t have ham, or normal bread, because why would I have these normal staples in my house?
So! I used what I had and It turned out delicious and SO easy!
-Italian Garlic Herb Bread Loaf (ALWAYS check the sale racks at walmart, I got multiple loafs for $0.47 and put some in the freezer for later
-Mozzarella cheese, shredded or slices
-Jalapeño & Habañero Pepper Jack cheese slices (I saw this Great Value brand and had to get it)
-1 large chicken breast ( I’m talking this chick was a DD)
-Paprika (I’m Hungarian so I put that shit on everything)
-Salad- spring mix or spinach
-Buffalo sauce (*optional- depending on degree of spice you want)
-Ranch dressing (*optional- my boyfriend will be a 2 year old and refuse to eat if it touches his food)
- Slice bread into inch wide slices. Preheat oven to 350ish
- Slice and cook chicken in pan with olive oil, garlic, and paprika. I put some buffalo sauce into my chicken for an extra spice
- While you are shredding your chicken, put your bread in the oven sprinkled with your mozzarella cheese to melt, only 5-7 minutes
- Top your melted cheesy bread with your chicken and slices of the Jalapeño & Habañero Pepper Jack cheese slices and return to oven. Bake for 5-10 minutes and then broil for 3-4minutes.
- Plate and top with your salad and a drizzle of ranch if you like
- Eat and enjoy!